Monday, April 6, 2009

Finally - It's A Girl!!!

Ok, so she doesn't really live with us, she lives in Ghana! We are sponsoring a child -a girl -from Ghana through Compassion International. I chose Ghana because of my friend Jen who has/is adopting children from Ghana. I was touched by her first hand description of the poverty in Ghana and also by how kind the people were to her when she was there. To follow her blog about adopting from Ghana click here. One of the reasons Jen chose Ghana was that her Great Uncle, Father Fran, was a missionary priest there. I had the privilege of knowing Father Fran when he came on visits to the states and the stories he told of the people of Ghana were always touching.

I would love to adopt a little girl and bring her home to live with us but then I would have to find another husband as my current husband feels that we are maxed out on our household child capacity! So, this is the best way I felt I could help out a child that needs it. Our child is Jennifer and she is the same age as RJ. Someday I will figure out how to post her picture but today I am not feeling very tech savvy. The people that I spoke to at Compassion International tell me that I can write letters and send gifts to Jennifer but my monthly sponsorship will be the greatest help of all to her. She will have clean water, food, medical care and an education. This is an area of the world that is hard hit by the AIDS epidemic and there are many children waiting for a sponsor. If you feel at all led, I would encourage you to visit the Compassion website for more information here. It costs less a month than most of us spend on Starbucks!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Too cool! I wonder where your little girl is from in Ghana? Wouldn't it be cool if she is close enough to where I will be to see her? You will have to see what you can find out about where she lives. I will probably be going again in June! I just finished our little guy's digital scrapbook!

Jennine

Lifepics said...

We adopted a boy from India named Ajay Sisku Bablu from Compassion Intl. We write each other a lot.