Tuesday, November 18, 2008

We Did It!


Here we are at the opening ceremony - looking all fresh and ready to go! It was an amazing 3 days filled with tons of emotion, tears, memories, glide and a few blisters - but all 3 of us managed every step of the 60 miles with smiles on our faces (mostly!). I took yesterday to reflect and decide how I wanted to record my memories of this event here in my blog and I decided that I should do a few different posts about different aspects of my 3 Day walk experience. In this post I am going to focus on my team of friends and what I learned about them during our 3 days of walking and camping in tiny pink tents!




What I learned about Sand that I didn't already know...well for starters, she is blind as a bat! This was the source of much laughter in our tent especially when she was trying to find the zippered entrance to our tent using the braille method! Second...She is the strong silent type. While walking last year, Sand had heat exhaustion walking through Papago Park, so she was none too happy to see it on our route this year. This year I could tell she was tired and hurting but she quietly powered on in Papago Park until she announced to us that she was out of water! We eventually came across some 3 Day walk supporters with an extra water bottle so all was well. This year, even though it was on day 3, Sand conquered the beast known to her as Papago Park! Congratulations on taking every step and for not killing your crazy tent mate - ME!




What I learned about T that I didn't already know...hmmm, I just can't come up with anything! I already knew she has a good heart as she demonstrated on day 2 by giving her extra pair of socks to a lady we were walking behind. This lady (a breast cancer survivor) kept reaching down to pull her socks up as they would work their way back down into her shoes. T decided that this lady couldn't go the rest of the day pulling at her socks every 2o steps, so T insisted that the lady take her extra socks that she had been planning on changing into at lunch. I never got her name, but the lady was extremely grateful and T never thought twice about doing it. I also already knew that T is one tough chick! She walked a good portion of the 60 miles with a silver dollar sized blister on one of her heels and a good quarter sized area of missing skin on the top of her foot - the result of an allergic reaction to some tape she was using to protect the giant blister on her heel. Congrats on proving to yourself that you could do it again - this time in much more pain than the last!



Thanks to T and Sand for making my first 3 Day Breast Cancer Walk a fun memory filled time that I will never forget. Thank you ladies for all of your encouraging words and for putting up with my long legs keeping me a few steps ahead of you but never bagging on me for it! Thanks for helping me through the surprise attack I suffered during the first hour of the walk and for answering my hundreds of questions about what to expect during the walk with seemingly little annoyance. We worked with and worried about each other as a team and we started and finished as a team. Thanks for the memories - and helping me through my first 3 Day Walk! You guys are the best!

Here we are at the closing ceremony looking pretty darn happy!


1 comment:

Sand said...

So very sweet! More tears!